Chemical and Biological Engineering
Graduate Program at Colorado School of Mines
Modern curriculum, program flexibility and award-winning faculty help make the Chemical and Biological Engineering Department at Mines the exceptional choice for completing an advanced degree. Research opportunities abound in areas such as biochemical and biomedical engineering, renewable energy, materials science, transport processes, thermodynamics, computational methods and atomistic simulation. Plus, partnerships and collaborations with NREL, Children’s Hospital Colorado and NIST provide opportunities to work together on research with far-reaching societal applications.
Awarded over $7M
per year in
ratio means more
Request for additional information
Fill out this form to receive more information about this exciting program.
Requirements and Costs
- Candidates should have completed an undergraduate program that includes chemical engineering fundamentals. Applicants without a degree in chemical engineering are encouraged to apply, but may be required to complete additional coursework to ensure preparation for graduate courses
- All admitted graduate students must submit GRE scores prior to receiving an admissions decision. Mines accepts GRE scores from tests taken within five years of the date of entry
- The department has no minimum GPA requirement
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
- Chemical Engineering – 72 credit hours, comprised of at least 30 credit hours of coursework and 42 credit hours of research. Doctoral students must pass the qualifying exam, complete and successfully defend a satisfactory thesis
MASTER OF SCIENCE
- Chemical and Biological Engineering (Thesis)
- 30 credit hours, comprised of at least 18 credit hours of coursework and 12 credit hours of research
- Chemical and Biological Engineering (Non-Thesis)
- 30 credit hours of coursework, including 18 credits of electives with many interdisciplinary options
|Colorado Resident||Out-of-State Student||Online Student|
|Room & Board||$16,700||$16,700||$16,700|
|Books & Supplies||$1,500||$1,500||$1,500|
|**Cost per credit hour||$925||$2,075||$999|
*Allowance for fees based on mandatory fees charged to all students. Does not include fees for orientation, library, yearbook, refrigerator rental, voice messaging, etc.
At less than 4.5 credit hours, you may be ineligible for financial aid.
“I’ve wanted to be biochemical engineer since high school. I want to change the world and make a difference in the medical industry.”
Chemical and Biological Engineering, ’19
- Project manager
- Industrial R&D researcher
- National lab scientist
- Chemical engineer
- Analytical chemist
- Rehabilitation engineer
- Cellular, tissue and genetic engineer
- Quality control engineer
- Biological engineer
- Carnegie Mellon
- New Terrain
Our Home is Golden
See what it’s like to live in one of the country’s best small towns, with easy access to the great outdoors and the thriving hub that is Denver.
From high above and on the ground, see what makes Colorado School of Mines, its campus and its people special.