This non-thesis master’s program is designed to give candidates a foundation in statistics and computer science and also provide knowledge in a particular application domain of science or engineering. The balance between these three elements is a strength of the program and can prepare candidates for Data Science careers in industry, government or for further study at the PhD level. Throughout is an emphasis on working in teams, creative problem solving and professional development.
Additional program information is available at the Data Science website.
Master of Science
- Data Science (Non-Thesis)
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, physical sciences, statistics, mathematics, economics or equivalent, with a grade-point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) with quantitative reasoning section score of 151 or higher or a GMAT score above 640. Applicants who have graduated from Mines within the past five years are not required to submit GRE scores.
- A personal statement explaining how the applicant’s professional goals, training and expertise are a good fit for this program.
- For international applicants or applicants whose native language is not English a TOEFL score of 79 or higher (or 550 for the paper-based test, 213 for the computer-based test) is required. In lieu of a TOEFL score, an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher will be accepted.