Geology and Geological Engineering
Graduate Program at Colorado School of Mines
Problem solver. Explorer with an attention to detail. Effective communicator. Someone who isn’t afraid to dig deeper. Sound like you? We thought so. Pursuing a graduate degree in Geology and Geological Engineering at Mines prepares you for that next step in your career to become a leading expert in the study and safe management of the Earth and its resources. With an interactive learning environment rooted in exceptional research relevant to current societal issues, your opportunities are limitless.
6% job growth
weekly Van Tuyl
Request for additional information
Fill out this form to receive more information about this exciting program.
Requirements and Costs
No specific pre-requisites are required for admission to the geology degree program. However, it is highly recommended that the candidates have the following courses prior to application:
- General Geology
- Field camp or equivalent (6 weeks)
- Structural Geology
- Chemistry (3 semesters, including at least 1 semester of physical or organic)
- Mathematics (2 semesters of calculus)
- An additional science course (other than geology) or advanced mathematics
- Physics (2 semesters)
The student’s committee will reserve the right to request that students complete additional identified courses prior to granting of a degree of Master of Science (Geology) or Doctor of Philosophy (Geology).
MASTER OF SCIENCE – Thesis
- 36 semester hours of course and research credit hours (a maximum of 9 credit hours may be 400-level course work)
MASTER OF SCIENCE – Non-Thesis
- 24 hours of coursework and 6 hours of independent study
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
- Minimum of 72 hours of course and research credit hours (a maximum of 9 credit hours may be 400-level course work)
- 6 credit hours of coursework
- 6 credit hours electives
|Colorado Resident||Out-of-State Student||Online Student|
|Room & Board||$16,700||$16,700||$16,700|
|Books & Supplies||$1,500||$1,500||$1,500|
|**Cost per credit hour||$925||$2,075||$999|
*Allowance for fees based on mandatory fees charged to all students. Does not include fees for orientation, library, yearbook, refrigerator rental, voice messaging, ect.
At less than 4.5 credit hours, you may be ineligible for financial aid.
“Mines is an amazing school with great research, faculty and fellow students. Employers love hiring Mines students because they are generally very well prepared to work in the industry.”
Graduate Student, Geology and Geological Engineering
- Geotechnical engineer
- Mine engineer
- Geological engineer
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Geological Survey
- XTO Energy
Our Home is Golden
See what it’s like to live in one of the country’s best small towns, with easy access to the great outdoors and the thriving hub that is Denver.
From high above and on the ground, see what makes Colorado School of Mines, its campus and its people special.
- Geological Engineering
- Geological Engineering (Thesis)
- Geological Engineering (Non-Thesis)
- Petroleum Reservoir Systems (Non-Thesis)
- Mineral Exploration (Non-Thesis)
- Economic Geology
- Exploration Methods
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
July 1 deadline