Graduate Program at Colorado School of Mines
You want a career with opportunity and versatility. You are looking for hands-on experiences that turns theory into practice and solves real-world engineering problems. At Mines, our Mechanical Engineering graduate program will prepare you to tackle a wide array of multidisciplinary technical engineering challenges under the leadership of top-notch faculty and work directly with other institutions, industry partners and national labs. Graduates will expand their skills and knowledge in biomechanics, robotics and automation, solid mechanics, materials, and manufacturing, thermal fluid and energy systems, and more to become leaders in their field and solve some of the world’s most pressing challenges.
in research funding
Five main research
Request for additional information
Fill out this form to receive more information about this exciting program.
Requirements and Costs
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, a physical science or mathematics with a grade-point average of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale
- All admitted graduate students must submit GRE scores prior to receiving an admissions decision. Mines accepts GRE scores from tests taken within five years of the date of entry. GRE is not required for applicants from a Mines engineering program
- GRE with quantitative reasoning section score of 160 or higher preferred
- For international applicants or applicants whose native language is not English, a TOEFL of 79 or higher is required
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
- 72 credit hours of course work and research credits. A minimum of 36 credit hours of course work and 30 credit hours of research credits must be completed. A minimum of 12 of the 36 credit hours of required coursework must be taken at Colorado School of Mines
MASTER OF SCIENCE
- Thesis: 24 credit hours of coursework and 6 credit hours of thesis research
- Non-Thesis: 30 credit hours of coursework
|Colorado Resident||Out-of-State Student|
|Room & Board||$16,700||$16,700|
|Books & Supplies||$1,500||$1,500|
|**Cost per credit hour||$925||$2,075|
*Allowance for fees based on mandatory fees charged to all students. Does not include fees for orientation, library, yearbook, refrigerator rental, voice messaging, ect.
At less than 4.5 credit hours, you may be ineligible for financial aid.
“Nothing worth doing is ever going to be easy. But it can be fun in the right environment. I found that fit at Mines, and I think others can, too.”
PhD Candidate, Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical engineer
- Industrial engineer
- Aerospace engineer
- Control and instrumentation engineer
- Automotive engineer
- Augean Robotics
- Composite Technology Development
- Johns Hopkins University
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Lunar Outpost
- Paragon Space Development Corporation
- Oceana Gold Corporation
- Sandia National Laboratories
Our Home is Golden
See what it’s like to live in one of the country’s best small towns, with easy access to the great outdoors and the thriving hub that is Denver.
From high above and on the ground, see what makes Colorado School of Mines, its campus and its people special.