Physics and Applied Physics
Graduate Program at Colorado School of Mines
If you want to work at the leading edge of physics research and become a trailblazer in academia or industry, Mines’ Physics and Applied Physics graduate program will get you there. Students work on cutting-edge research in areas such as condensed matter physics, applied optics, quantum physics, renewable energy and subatomic physics and have opportunities to collaborate with national labs and industry partners on local and international scales. Graduates will gain the skills and connections to advance their knowledge in the field and take their career to a new height.
9% projected job
projects in a number
Requirements and Costs
- All admitted graduate students must submit GRE scores prior to receiving an admissions decision
- Mines accepts GRE scores from tests taken within five years of the date of entry. Applicants who have graduated from Mines within the past five years are not required to submit GRE scores
- For international applicants or applicants whose native language is not English, a TOEFL score of 79 or higher (or 550 for the paper-based test, 213 for the computer-based test) is required. In lieu of a TOEFL score, an IELTS score of 6.5 will be accepted
MASTER OF SCIENCE
- 20 credit hours of coursework
- 16 credit hours of research
- Satisfactory thesis
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
- 32 credit hours of coursework
- 40 credit hours of research
- Satisfactory thesis
|Colorado Resident||Out-of-State Student||Online Student|
|Room & Board||$16,700||$16,700||$16,700|
|Books & Supplies||$1,500||$1,500||$1,500|
|**Cost per credit hour||$925||$2,075||$999|
*Allowance for fees based on mandatory fees charged to all students. Does not include fees for orientation, library, yearbook, refrigerator rental, voice messaging, etc.
At less than 4.5 credit hours, you may be ineligible for financial aid.
“I am currently working on the temporal and spatial shaping of laser pulses to improve the efficiency of current and future free electron lasers. My experiences and time spent at the national lab have jump started each of the things I hope to gain.”
PhD Candidate, Applied Physics
- Applications engineer
- Data analyst
- Design engineer
- Laser engineer
- Systems analyst
- Software developer
- Optical engineer
- Physics instructor
- Cypress Semiconductor
- Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics
- Northrop Grumman
- Texas Instruments
- United Launch Alliance
Our Home is Golden
See what it’s like to live in one of the country’s best small towns, with easy access to the great outdoors and the thriving hub that is Denver.
From high above and on the ground, see what makes Colorado School of Mines, its campus and its people special.