Graduate Student Estimated Cost of Attendance

Questions about tuition and fees? Visit the financial aid site for more information on cost of attendance.

Cost of Attendance

Mines student

Teaching And Research Assistantships

Teaching Assistantships (TA) and Research Assistantships (RA) contracts typically cover one academic year and most are awarded in the Fall.

Research Assistantships allow you an opportunity to do research supported by funds from sponsored projects. The terms of these appointments and the qualifications for them depend on the sponsoring agency and the faculty member.

Teaching Assistantships may be awarded to you to assist in the education of undergraduate students by conducting laboratories and assisting professors. The departments have a limited number of TAs to award: these are normally reserved for full-time degree students who have demonstrated academic excellence. It is a school policy that students with TAs do not have full responsibility for teaching courses.

Graduate Assistantships are awarded to supplement TAs and RAs to pay for your student fees, health insurance, etc. You may also be selected to receive a tuition award through this assistantship.

Additional information can be found on Assistantship Policies page

Tuition Payment Options

Mines offers various tuition payment options. See Payment Options for more details. See the Bursar’s Office for other payment details.

Financial Aid

You may be eligible for financial aid as a graduate student. Loans are available for qualified U.S. domestic graduate students. You can find additional information on the financial aid process here: Graduate Financial Aid.

An updated Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be submitted each year for assistance from our Financial Aid Office.

Below are links to financial aid search engines. The Graduate Office does not endorse any particular service. We encourage the use of any free service available for finding scholarships.

  • FinAid: This free page gives you links to search engines, information on loans, special opportunities for specific types of students, and testing information.
  • FastWeb: FastWEB is a database of private sector scholarships, fellowships, grants, and loans.
  • IEFA: International Education Financial Aid website. Aids international students in finding funding for study.
  • GradPrograms: The Graduate Program Guide for students created by students.
  • GoodCall: A free search engine of reputable private scholarships available to students.
  • IBP: Institute for Broadening Participation – Pathways to Science

Other Graduate Fellowships

Outside Graduate Fellowships

Additional Resources



Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP)

Research Lab

Program Information

The Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE), promotes the sharing of higher education resources among the participating western states. Here at Mines, residents of the WICHE member states, listed below, who are enrolled in qualifying graduate programs may be eligible for discounted-rate tuition classification.

Visit the Colorado School of Mines WICHE website to review the WRGP-Eligible Programs.


  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

You may also qualify if you are from the following U.S. Territory/Commonwealth:

  • Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)
  • Federal States of Micronesia (FSM)
  • Guam
  • Republic of the Marshall Islands


  • You must be a legal resident of one of the participating WICHE-approved states (a list of states is mentioned above). This is determined from the tuition classification form that you fill out upon acceptance.
    • You must reside in the WICHE-approved state for at least nine consecutive months prior to the beginning of the first academic term of WRGP acceptance.
    • You must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident.
  • The WRGP tuition benefit must be awarded at the time of admission and will be noted in your Applicant Portal, once approved. It cannot be converted once the first day of your first semester starts as a new graduate student.
      • Mines Combined students will qualify for the WRGP 150% tuition rate once their Bachelor’s Degree is awarded and they begin their first semester as a Graduate Student. Undergraduates students, do not qualify for the WRGP tuition rate.
  • You will need to provide:
    • Proof of a permanent address in the WICHE state.
    • Payment of state income tax on wages earned in the WICHE state and:
      • Vehicle registration
      • Driver’s license
      • W2
      • State income tax return
      • Utility bill dated nine months ago proof of eligibility can be demonstrated by submitting three of the following items:

Future students can upload the above materials within the online application or email to

Contact Us

Starzer Welcome Center
1812 Illinois Street
Golden, CO 80401

(303) 273-3247